Re: Rambling speculations on brake fluid

To: MOWOGMAN@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rambling speculations on brake fluid
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 09:59:29 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sat, 12 Jun 1999 MOWOGMAN@aol.com wrote:

> Hi all, I didn't mean to start such a ruckus on brake fluid, and I have no
> idea how we got on anti freeze, chemical dependency, etc.  I was hoping that
> someone might know exactly what brake fluids are, and if they have any
> toxicity going on or not.  Instead, like so many topics, everyone has an

According to many governmental web pages, brake fluid is toxic, AND
corrosive.  I would like to find out exactly "what's in there", too, and
if I can get a definitive answer (maybe the DOT guys will know), I will
pass it on.

> opionion but doen't know for sure.   As for what's natural or not, I think
> you are missing the big picture, i think you would be surprised at the
> "unatural" things that the earth is capable of producing on it's own.  I
> might also propose that since they Can be made, then they Are natural.  If we
> follow the other line of thought chocalate chip cookies are not natural,
> since they don't spontaneously create themselves.

My opinion (uh-oh, here we go) is that the concentration of any given
substance will reflect its "danger" (for lack of better word).  If you
drink a gallon of acetone, you're going to feel pretty bad.  When you cut
the lawn, the 'injured' grass releases-- acetone.  Not much, but it's
there.  Now, you're probably not going to poison yourself if you lie down
on your newly cut lawn and inhale deeply, but you are exposing yourself to
trace amounts of (what I consider) a hazardous chemical.

Most living creatures have the ability, and hopefully, the constitution to
be able to survive encounters with trace amounts of nasty stuff...
otherwise, people would die after soldering something, the trees would
wilt if you tossed your old sneakers into the fireplace, and nobody would
be allowed within 1 mile of a gas station.  Working on our triumphs would
be a delicate affair.  But that doesn't mean we should be abusing the
environs.

> I am not proposing that you all run out and pour your used brake fluid in
> your neighbors well, just understand what you've got and dispose of it
> correctly.

Hear, hear!

> Don't over react to the environmental "chicken littles", or pretty soon brake
> fluid will go the way of R12!

We do not inherit the world from our ancestors; we borrow it from our
children.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm