Re: Engine Question

To: Keith McGahan <keithmcgahan@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Question
From: Martin Secrest <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 12:27:21 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Keith McGahan wrote:

> A friend or mine has a GT6+ that he considers too slow and is thinking about
> switch the 1998cc engine with a 2498cc TR6 engine that he has in his garage.
>   Does anyone have any experience with this? How much horsepower will this
> generate? I think I read some where that the TR6 2498cc engine put out
> 150bhp is this correct?   What are the plus and minus of doing this switch?
> Thanks for your help
>
> Keith
> TR4

The TR6 does not put out 150 hp in its stock form, but rather 104, for
most years, compared to the 95 your friend is already getting.  The
150 hp figure is for PI versions of the TR6 motor, but can be approached
by adding many other mods such as FF exhaust, Webers, different cam,
etc.

It is possible to put the TR6 motor in a GT6, but frankly I think your
friend would be better off just changing the induction/exhaust systems,
and/or installing a hotter cam.  Light alloy wheels would also help
with effective power, and probably even ought to be bought first, IMHO.
Another easy mod is to remove the stock fan, and install an electric
pusher fan -- good for about 5 hp right there.

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6