TR4A Water Leak Help

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4A Water Leak Help
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 22:34:38 EDT
Alan and list,

The Triumph factory supplied part # 30123    "Wire (lead) under nut",
to seal the head stud/washer/nut assy.  I still have some of the roll
that I was given for my TR3 National Championship Road Racing Car
by the Triumph Zone Parts Manager.  I have used it on many TR
motor rebuilds.  The TR2/3 part book lists "No. per unit" as "A/R",
and those of us lucky enough to pull a TR head for the first time
since the factory built the motor will attest to the lead wire being
used on the production line.
The factory lead wire is solid, soft, and 1/16" (0.062") OD.
Solid solder wire looks identical.

And now for the bad news:  The work shop manual gives no torque
for installing the head studs into the block.  This is not ideal, because
cracks are quite common on the top of the block traveling outward from
the head stud holes, often reaching the water jacket and/or the oil feed
hole.  With good light and a clean top of the block, these cracks are
visible. Over tightening the studs into the block  even onceis one cause
of this problem.

The block that I used to win the National Runoffs has had one such
crack since a year before that event, and is still in the race car.  I use
silicone seal over the crack in the water jacket, a very light coat of
anti-seize on the stud to block threads, and the lead wire under the head
nuts.

Good Luck In Advance
   HP