Better Cam on TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Better Cam on TR6
From: Rengrave@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 21:16:11 EDT
Hi fellow sixers,
My 1973 TR6 was painted last year, I drove it all summer of 98, was ready to
put her back on the road again this year, when I discovered a low end knock
during initial startup and when engine was revved. I pulled one of the rod
bearings off only to discover that the crank had grooves in it (45 record
size). After talking to local mechanics and consulting this list, I have
decided to skip this season :( , and pull the engine (for the first time) out
of the car and do a complete overhaul.
Are there any recommendations from you guys as to what to replace while I am
at it, what's this "better" cam I have been hearing about? Should I shave the
head? Is it worth the increase in performance? What are the pros and cons?
What else should I do to the engine while I am in there re-machining?
I plan on having my stock crank re-ground or maybe trading it in for a
re-conditioned crank with matching bearings from BPNW.

Wayne from Massachusetts
1973 TR6  Mallard / New Tan