Re: sleeved thermostats again

To: CarlSereda@aol.com
Subject: Re: sleeved thermostats again
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 22:07:20 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
CarlSereda@aol.com wrote:

> A) Anyone have an old sleeved thermostat from a TR3 or 4 I could see (or
> measure for me)... Fred Thomas was kind enough to mail his 'bellows' type to
> me from his TR3 to look at (I am reimbursing his costs) ... but it doesn't
> have the sleeve part.
>
> B) Has anyone bought the Jaguar type 'sleeved/skirted' thermostat from Moss
> ($32) and scrutinized the fit and function inside our particular Triumphs
> thermostat housing?
>
> C) Is Moss' thermostat an exact duplicate of our original Triumph sleeved
> thermostat design ... or is it simply the only sleeved thermostat available
> to us and a cross reference 'semi-fit' product from Jaguar?
> Carl
> '64 TR4 in full restoration mode ... and 'very serious' that my engine
> cooling system works right and to it's full capacity this time.

Hi Carl,

Yes, I bit the bullet and bought one of the Moss $32 sleeved
thermostats. I had never heard of the sleeved ones until I joined this
list! Ran my car for 10 years with a sleeveless thermo! Never overheated
even once. But, after that discussion went on and on a few months ago, I
got worried and had to buy one! I think it's a conspiracy! (I was going
to a cooler normal thermo anyway;-)

But, that's not what you wanted to know... from what I can tell
comparing the new sleeved thermo with the one illustrated in the fact.
manual, no, the new ones are not the same. Another lister said something
about one pushes, the other pulls the sleeve across the bypass tube.
Otherwise, the fit is fine, and it does have the large diameter opening
needed by our cars.

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L in pieces all over the garage!

--
MZ