Re: TR6 spin-on filter adaptor

To: Matt Barre <mbarre@juno.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 spin-on filter adaptor
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 13:16:20 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Matt,

I had problems with my Mocal apadtor in that I couldn't make the outer
rim seal. My kit used a square section O-ring of the kind supplied with
original filter. A thread at the time pointed out the risk of breaking
the central threaded boss by overtightening.

I doubt that silicone will work, although I haven't tried that approach.

I took a new, square section seal to my local bearing suppliers, who
carefully measured its diameter and thickness. They found a two round
section O-rings of, if memory serves, 3mm and 3,2mm thickness. The
reasoning behind this was that, if the clamping force is limited by the
tension of the fixing bolt, then reducing the contact area of the seal
should make it work-note the thickness of the sealing edge of the
original canister.  Also, the round section O-rings were noticeably
softer than the original.

Trial and error showed that the 3mm seal was appropriate for my engine,
given that there is the need for the inner O-ring to seal or the oil
could leak past internally and not be filtered. This was with the centre
bolt tightened to 15 lb/ft.

Apparently, there are differences in Triumph blocks so the size for your
engine would not necessarily be the same. In any case, the adaptor is
now leak-free and has been so for several months.

Regards,

Dave Hill