Re: Engine Gas Pressure

To: Mquinn698@aol.com
Subject: Re: Engine Gas Pressure
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:39:41 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mark :
I've seen this condition (excessive blowby with good performance) on many high
mileage engines (including most of my current vehicles <g>).  Typically, the
excessive blow-by only happens under heavy load/acceleration (eg freeway
on-ramps)
when peak cylinder pressures are high for a long time.  Smoke from the exhaust
is
caused by oil getting past the rings (or valve guides) into the cylinder.  Since
oil is thicker and has less pressure on it,  engines can have excess blowby for
long time before they wear enough to burn oil and smoke.  (I live in CA, where
smoking is a capital crime for a car <g>)

Your mechanic is probably right about the rebuild, especially if you are seeing
blowby (that oily exhaust stuff) from the oil filler.  If you do have it
rebuilt,
be sure to get one of the lip-seal conversions for the rear main seal.  They are
much better than the original factory labrynith seal and will actually tolerate
some crankcase pressure without leaking.

For workarounds, try going back to a breather oil cap, or even a free-er flowing
arrangement like a foam filter as a cap (performance shops sell these). This
does
nothing for the real problem (worn rings), but might reduce oil blowing past the
rear seal.
IMHO, PCV systems should have a fresh air intake anyway, to dilute the blowby
gases and reduce acid formation.  Later American cars do this (I'm not sure
about
later TR's).

Randall