RE: Vicky brit - california intimidation

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Vicky brit - california intimidation
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 20:18:36 -0600
> BTW, legally you are still supposed to pay CA state sales tax on out of
> state mail orders.  I've never heard of them trying to collect it from
> individuals, but some people pay it out of intimidation (my previous
> employer did).

California may THINK its legal to collect sales tax on out of state mail
orders but I doubt that technically its legal.  Maybe someone can answer
that.  You also correct about california and its intimidation factor.
While I was working overseas on a government contract at a military base
our mailing addresses had an APO xxxxx zip code that originated in
California.  I had worked there for about 3 years and all of a sudden a
California State Income tax form shows up in my mail box on the island.
Turns out that California decided that since we had a zip code originating
in that state we were liable to pay taxes to the state of California.
Well that went over like a ton of bricks!  Just about everyone of us out
there had incomes in the 6 figure mark and at the time none of us were
paying state taxes because we were working on a US territory and NOT in
some state somewhere.  Needless to say everyone of those tax forms were
filed in the "round" filing cabinet.  Never heard any more from California
on the subject either!

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 2/15/99)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L
1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1965 TR4 CT38888LO parts car?
1959 TR3A TS41311L       -- 1959 TR3A TS53523L parts car
1951 1/2 ton Dodge Truck B-3-B-108