RE: Humor non LBC but English boundary

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Humor non LBC but English boundary
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:33:50 -0600

Brian Johnson wrote:

> Yep Andy's correct   - we stick two fingers in the air . . .
> The French knights hadsent a message saying that they
> would cut off the first two fingers of every archer's hand
> to stop them pulling the bow.    The English stuck their fingers  in the
air
> to show the French   that they still had them.

A minor point of clarification, while we're off the subject:

The British (English?) "Two-Finger Archer's Salute" is performed with the
thumb and remaining fingers facing the person giving the salute - the same
hand position as the American "One-Finger Salute". If I'm not mistaken, the
Two-Finger salute given with the thumb and remaining fingers facing the
object of the salute is, on both sides of the pond, recognized as the Peace
Sign.

This fine (and quite possibly incorrect) point of digital nuance is brought
to you by:

              Jim Hill
SpyderWeb Vintage Racing
           Madison WI