Re: Jacobs Electronic Ignition

To: Martin Gonzales <mxgo@ix.netcom.com>, Philip Smith <smith007@mindspring.com>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Jacobs Electronic Ignition
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.colostate.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 99 12:35:01 -0700
 Are you sure that the Jacobs unit caused the Crane to fail? I only ask
because I was considering installing a Crane unit along side my Jacobs
Unit.

 I have a Jacobs Pro Street ignition with a Jacobs Ultra Coil and Jacobs
wires. The Pro Street ignition is a multi-spark design. Jacobs Electronics
claims that it takes thirty different readings per cylinder within 1.5
degrees of the crankshaft rotation. Then adjusts the spark accordingly. The
Ultra coils output is in the 65,000 volt range. So yes, the spark is much
stronger than my previous Lucas Sport Coil. Jacobs suggests decreasing the
points gap to roughly half. The car starts easier, warms up much faster and
runs smoother than before.
 I was considering swapping the points and condenser for a Crane unit, in
order to make up for the distributor slop of a worn dizzy. After all, if
the spark timing is improved at the distributor. Then my Jacobs Pro Street
ignition could spend more time making sure I get a full burn. Instead of
correcting sloppy sparktiming.

 So, If the reports of the Jacobs system causing the Crane unit to fail are
accurate. Then it looks as if refurbing the dizzy would be the appropriate
step. Unless anyone can come up with another solution.

Shawn Loseke
1972 TR6 CC80255U
-------------
Original Text
From: "Martin Gonzales" <mxgo@ix.netcom.com>, on 2/21/1999 6:14 PM:

>.< Everything is stock with the exception of a
>professionally installed Jacob's electronic ignition (which i higly
>recommend to other owners). >
>Brad,
>Do they make Jacob,s electronic ignition for the TR6? Are they different
>than Crane? Are they better than Crane? Who do I talk to to get one?About
>how much are they? Alot of questions,sorry

The Jacob's Electronic Ignition that I have on my TR6 uses the existing
points and condenser and fires a stronger spark to the existing points and
condenser.  I bought it a while ago, at that time I thinks it was $400
plus.
It runs great, but I do have to watch the points since the Jacob units does
provide a stronger spark.  But, looking back I think it would be nice not
have to worry about pomts and condenser with an Ignitor type unit under the
Distributor Cap.  With the Jacob's unit the gap on the points isn't that
important and you can go wider or less.

I had an Allison (now called Crane) unit hooked up with  the Jacob's unit.
However, the Allison unit went out, causing misfiring (slight) when hooked
up with the Jacob's unit.

I hope that helps

Martin
73 TR6
San Jose,CA

, however, the strong spark from the units screwed up the Allison unit.