Yet another O/D question.

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Yet another O/D question.
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 19:44:19 -0800
Listers,

I've been cleaning and checking out the new acquisition. Got to test
fitting yesterday and I may have a problem.

Can anyone on the list tell me the overall length dimensions of the two
different mainshafts: short (O/D) and long (non-O/D)? Or, can anyone
give me an accurate dimension for how much either one protrudes from the
back of the gearbox? I can't find a reference in any of the texts I have
and I hate to have to pull apart another gearbox (esp. since it's still
in the car) for comparisons!

The recently acquired O/D seems ok, maybe I'll be doing a rebuild on it.
However, the reman. gearbox I've had squirreled away waiting for an O/D
may have the wrong length mainshaft. It was ordered as an O/D compatible
unit, came in a box labelled as such with a packing listing stating it
as such and even included the top cover ready to accept the O/D
inhibitor switches (oddly located, but working just fine once I got them
installed).

I may have one major gripe with a vendor who will go unnamed...  for
now.

TIA

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.