Re: TR4A Choke control will not stay pulled

To: Cliff Hansen <chansen@anr.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4A Choke control will not stay pulled
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 22:06:48 -0500
Message text written by Cliff Hansen
>The SU6 carbs use a pull-twist-lock cable, since they have a
return spring on the jets.  I've had no end of trouble with mine,
and had given up on fixing it correctly.<

Do you know the mechanism in side that does the locking?  Where is the lock?

In my ancient experience, I seem to remember that if your were unwise enough
to attempt to move the choke in the "locked" position, it seemed to weaken
the lock somehow.

I have not dissected any cables to understand the lock mechaism.  I have
ALWAYS had to use both hands when starting from very cold.  I am used to it.

Very good theft prevention.  I can't tell you how many times my Austin had the
battery killed by dumb service people trying to start it without the choke!
This was by people who ought to know better.  Not that the symbol for the
choke is useful!

-Tony