Re: wanna talk? - List Perception/response

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wanna talk? - List Perception/response
From: Jack McCarrick <jmccarr@iwaynet.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 06:23:14 -0500
The original message looks to be unsolicited marketing/junk mail.  The
ISP it was sent from has a posted NO SPAM policy which I have included
for everyones reference below.  It is my perception that the individual
that originated the message violated his host networks spam policy.
Since the entire list was addressed and a few of you were specifically
targeted the question is does the original "wanna talk?" message
constitute electronic junk mail.  If so, the ISP deserves to be told.  I
suspect one of you will call the number to identify what the marketing
purpose was.  Hopefully, only one of you will call. Given the last
paragraph of the policy, this will be interesting if the message is
about finding members for the ISP rather than some other business.  The
fewer that call the phone number,  the less successful their effort was.
If the list feels that the message was SPAM then we need to notify their
webmaster of the policy violation.

The original message is at the end of this one with the sending userid.

That networks posted policy is:

 TRANSMISSION OF SPAM

  Premier1 Internet Services, Inc. has a strict, zero-tolerence
"NO-SPAMMING" policy regarding the
  transmission and reception of electronic junk mail.

  Without exception, any Premier1 user found to be sending mail of this
nature will be immediately
  dropped from our services without prior notification.

  Premier1 Internet Services, Inc. reserves the right to independently
make judgment as to whether
  or not a particular electronic message, or groups of messages, come
into this category.

The original message with a subject of "wanna talk?" is listed below and
was sent by
        "Al Brenden" <albrendn@premier1.net>