TR 6 piston rings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR 6 piston rings
From: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (Gerhard Wiederholl)
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:58:36 +0100

Hello listers,

I have some questions about piston rings and cylinder bores:

Is it possible or a good idea to use oversize piston rings on standard pistons
and if it is yes, until which diverences between piston size and cylinder bores
is this reasonable? I can slid a 0,3 mm / 0,012" feeler gauge between piston
and
cylinder walls.

The Haynes manual says, when new piston rings are used on old cylinder bores,
the top ring should be stepped. I understand the problem, but how do I step a
piston ring?

Is it possible to take  away the ridge of the previous top ring in
the cylinders DIY without destroying everything?

Thank you in advance

Gerhard Wiederholl

CC 31998 LO