Compression test/"leak-down" test

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Compression test/"leak-down" test
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:58:15 -0800
Bud Rolofson wrote:

>A dry test can tell you: that you might have a faulty head gasket if two
>adjacent cylinders have low readings, or if the pressure builds up erratically
>(as you crank the engine) the problem could be burned valve seats or sticky
>valve guides.
>
>A wet test is done to help diagnose WHY your compression is low, it is not
>done
>to confirm low readings on the dry test.
>
>e.g. On a wet test, if the compression increases to nearly normal then the
>rings, piston, and cylinder (for that cylinder) are probably in need of
>service.

Is this "wet test" the same as a compression "leak down" test?

Can anyone describe how a "leak-down" test is performed and how it is
different from a "wet test" if it IS different?

I've done regular compression tests and I've got those handled just fine.
But these others have me a bit puzzled.

Thanks,

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6