GT6 in 1999 Monte Carlo Rally (part 1)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 in 1999 Monte Carlo Rally (part 1)
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 17:33:09 EST
Listers,
Recently, I saw a small picture in the Saturday Feb. 6th issue of the Daily
Telegraph newspaper (British National newspaper), depicting what looks like a
GT6-2 wearing a GT6 (Mark 1) bonnet. Or to put it another way, a GT6+ wearing
a GT6 hood.
The car also appeared to be fitted with a webasto folding sunroof, and
Minilite type alloy wheels, and yes, you guessed it, it is Signal Red!
The car was shown at historic Brooklands Motor Racing circuit, apparently
leaving on some kind of a rally event. Driven by Peter Hall and navigated by
Tony Jolly.
I had never heard of either of them and no mention was made of any clubs.
However, it transpired that Peter Hall is the Motoring Editor of the
Telegraph, or at least of the weekend editions ?
The caption read "Triumph,hope and experience: has anyone seen our motoring
editor?"
And the heading read "Car 54 - where are you?"
As you might imagine, that got my interest going...
The text follows:
We saw him off, along with 140 other Monte Carlo Challenge entrants, from
Broklands last Sunday, (31st January), but since then, news of The Daily
Telegraph-entered Triumph GT6 and its crew has been worryingly scant.
We have heard that the weather has been bad - and that might have been a
problem for motoring editor Peter Hall and his co-driver Tony Jolly, who
gambled on good weather with a last minute switch from Avon snow tyres to
ultra grippy Tarmac rally tyres. We've also heard that the fire-spitting
Racestorations engine has been keeping the Monegasques (residents of Monaco)
awake well after bedtime.
And that's about it. We know they have a mobile phone (cellphone) (well hidden
as it's technically against the rules), but daren't ring in case we interrupt
while they are attacking an Alp. As we closed for press they were still in the
running - read all about this epic rally in next week's Telegraph Motoring"
section.

I did, and it's in my next mailing(s)!!!
Leon