gear shift lever boot ect.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: gear shift lever boot ect.
From: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 18:56:34 -0600
I am putting a new tranny plastic cover on and now have a couple parts I am
not sure about to put on.  One is a shaped rubber doughnut type thing.  It
is slightly formed to fit over the cover and has a slit around the bottom
edge which seems to fit the inside edge of the plastic cover.  Then the
other piece is vinyl finished piece that goes over the shifter and it has a
rubber grommett type thing glued inside it.

My question is....does the large rubber doughnut go completely under the
tranny cover and then the finished vinyl thing on top of it?  It seems that
if I install the doughnut on top of the cover it will still show after I put
the carpet in and it is not finished and just shows rubber.  Am I missing
something?

Also must mention I had a tough time bolting the new plastic cover down.
Had to get the bolts just perfect and the side of the plastic does not have
much give.  Some bolts would not go in with a washer on them because it
tipped the bolt too much causing it not to thread right.  Other captive nuts
I think were partially stripped as they did not thread up nice and tight.
Have a notion to just drill them out and put in bolts all the way through.
Anyway it is much tighter and better than the old cardboard thing.....plus I
think if I drive the car and get it hot in the summer time it will form and
fit better......then I can take out the bolts and put on the proper washers
and tighten down.
                Gary, Frances Nafziger
                Wellman, Iowa