Re: Triumph TR-6 gearbox question

To: "Andrew Mace" <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Triumph TR-6 gearbox question
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 01:58:48 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Andy,

Please forward to following to Bill:

Bill,

I have considerable experience with TR6 trannys.  I understand your last
comments but you should consider the benefit of DIY work or a conversion...

You will likely have a brass bushing'd tranny - verify by casing number in
TRF catalogue (request?).  The #2 synchro is a "top hat" shaped bushing, and
hard shifting (speed shifting or fast shifting when cold) breaks the "brim"
part of the bushing from the main sleeve.  Nintey percent of the time, this
causes excessive gear end float and subsequent ineffectiveness of the
synchro which operates on a similar tolerance to that which is lost.

Sadly,  this condition is really an all or nothing repair as it requires a
complete disassembly to rectify.  It is hardly worth the savings NOT to do a
complete overhaul.  As well, if the car has done 75,000 mi. or more, it is
likely other parts will be needed.  Most of these cars seem to have been
neglected in their earlier years of maintenance and have suffered.

All the parts for your rebuild are available through the big 3, though I can
say I used the TRF winter parts sale to lower my bill effectively by over 30
percent on one occasion.  The top hat bushing alone is about $45US (a bunch
of Cdn$).  A well maintained tranny will take the "TRF rebuild kit" I
remember costing about $275.  My tranny needed a laygear and was (all in)
about $600 Cdn after the discounts.  Consider shopping around for an
overdrive unit in "working condition" as it will run only a few hundred more
than your rebuild and add more than that to the value of the car.

With some patience, the TR box is rebuildable  by a novice so long as
patience and close attention to measurements are practiced.  With the parts
now available as "made in China" spec from the Big 3,  some hand work is
needed to the top hat bushing.  On both occasions I replaced this part,
neither the interior nor exterior dimensions allowed the mating with the
correspondent mating part.  Much hand lapping of surfaces solved the problem
with no ill effects though.  Understand that a professional would likely
charge "extra" for such work, and perhaps a rebuilt unit should be
considered if your skill or "challenge readiness" is lacking in this type of
work.

One other consideration is a transmission swap.  Non-original and
considerably more expensive,  an Australian firm offers a Toyota Supra 5
speed conversion kit (you supply the box).  Liekly the most desirable
arrangement from a daily driver point of view, it would also require the
most work.

Good luck.

Dave T