Re: GT6 Chassis and Spit Body

To: hklean@erols.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 Chassis and Spit Body
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:46:14 EST
In a message dated 11/02/99 04:35:27 GMT, you write:

<< Leon I am surprised to hear you say that about Spax.I have the spax
 front shocks with the adjustable spring seats on my car along with
 standard spax gass on the rear.I replaced the bushings with polyurathane
 and have had no problems.I know Koni are good but I like the ease of
 adjusting the Spax.Also aren`t the shocks that go with the conversion
 brackets a special shorter item? I read that the standard spitfire rear
 shocks are too long.My car is very low I have the spax on the front all
 the way down and shorter HD springs.I hope I have better luck than you
 as I paid a lot of money for what I had always heard were the best!
 I gues time will tell.
 Rick >>

Yes, I thought that might surprise a few people, after all TSSC sells the
chassis extension brackets c/w the Spax dampers as a kit, and won't sell them
seperately, because in the past, (ages ago), a few people had problems after
fitting the wrong length dampers...however, I can only relate my own
experiences with the Spax that I had in the past, I simply had a dreadful time
with oil leaks, and damper failure, so no longer fit Spax to my car, although
I have heard some people are happy enough with them. Of course eight years
back, the excellent Polyurethane 'Superflex' bushes were not available.
Perhaps Spax have improved their product meanwhile ??? Anyhow, I feel unable
to recommend Spax based on my personal experiences.
nb.I bought my Koni's from John Kipping who advised me that special shorter
than standard dampers were indeed required in order to prevent bottoming-out.
Good Luck with your dampers, and may all your rebounds be short ones!!!
Regards
Leon