Re: Dash

To: "Barlow, Paul" <paul_barlow@bctransit.com>
Subject: Re: Dash
From: Joe Sholtes IV <joeiv@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:18:32 -0500
Cc: "'Triumph Digest'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Paul,

   The least damaging, caustic, and vaporous way to
remove the old finish is to use a heat gun.  I'm talking
out a real heat gun that generates way more heat than
a hair dryer.
  If you heat up the varnish enough, it begins lifting and
curling up.  Then use an exacto knife with their flat, hor-
izontal scaping blade on.  You must be careful not to
dig into the walnut veneer, as these blades are sharp.
Perhaps it may be advisable to dull the blade a little first
on some 400 grit sandpaper.
  For refinishing, I used two coats of Metalflake Company's
Candy Apple Aztec gold (to simulate the yellowish patina of
the varnish), followed by coats of clear Imron.  I would put
a heavy application of Imron on, wetsand, the another app
of Imron until I had a filled the woodgrain.  It took a while,
but the results are worth it.  The last coat was scuffed with
scotch-brite to get the proper matte finish. Any paint store
should be able to match the brown color on the back.
  I can send you a pic of the finished product  off the list if
you'd like.

                                            JOE IV
                                            TR 250
                                 WALLINGFORD, CT. USA