Re: Painting Exhaust Manifold

To: Robert Van and Ann Cross <vancross@visuallink.com>
Subject: Re: Painting Exhaust Manifold
From: Chris Taylor <spitfire@worldchat.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 18:27:00 -0500
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>

Robert Van and Ann Cross wrote:

> I need some advice.  I'm getting ready to paint my TR3 engine.  The exhaust
> manifold is in good shape but rusty.  I thought I might get a can of that
> satin black stove paint and put a coat on it.  The paint is good to 1000
> degrees.  What to you think?  Anybody Know how hot an exhaust manifold gets?
> We're talking normal driving.
>
> Thanks
> Bob Van
> TR3A TS56407L

Bob
I had great luck using POR15 factory manifold gray
paint on the manifold of my spitfire.You must sand blast the manifold
and not touch it again until it is painted. Apparently the oil from your skin
will
stop the paint from adhering if you touch it. The results were great, the
manifold looks like raw cast iron and hasn't discolored with a year of driving.
Hope this helps
Chris Taylor
75 Spitfire
Burlington, Ontario