TR-3,4 anti-roll bars - conclusions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-3,4 anti-roll bars - conclusions
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 09:50:08 -0800
Cc: "Johnny Storm: International Racing car driver" <hiu06f@bangor.ac.uk>, "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>, "Johnny Storm: International Racing car driver" <hiu06f@bangor.ac.uk>, "John T. Nichols" <jtnichol@m4.sprynet.com>, "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>, Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>, TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>, Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
    I'm leaving on vacation and I got so many responses to my post about
anti-roll bars that I will respond in general.  Thanks to all who checked
in with advice.
    Near unanimous recommendation was that for solid axle TRs, a front bar
improved handling, but a rear bar did not.  Some said that adding a rear
bar caused oversteer.
    So, I will buy and try a 3/4 " front bar from TRF for the TR-3A.
   Regarding TR-4As, I have a mildly contradictory report.  Some time ago,
I bought a solid axle TR-4A autocross wannabee.  It is lowered, has
anti-roll bars fore and aft as well as stiff springs all around, 185x15
Hercules radials, a 4.26 rear end and highly responsive steering.  It
corners like nothing I have ever driven in my life, excepting maybe a
go-kart.  But it's rough as a cob on a bumpy road.  The car has been in a
constant state of repair since I bought it and I only have about a hundred
miles on it, so my experience isn't universal, but I haven't noticed any
oversteer.  I would call it mild understeer to neutral.  Also, I never
caused the inside rear wheel to lift up in a turn.
   (My only real experience with oversteer is my Volvo 240, which has
Michelin radials.  Usually it has mild understeer, but in wet weather, it
changes to really scary oversteer).
   Thanks again.
John

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus movie reviews, articles and Left/Progressive links at:
                           http://home.earthlink.net/~jfcowan