Re: TR-3A - Anti-roll bars and oversteer

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: TR-3A - Anti-roll bars and oversteer
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 19:34:55 +0000
Cc: brooks@belcotech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
In the 1970's when I owned my TR2 for the first time,  I had to put on some
'half race'  springs on the rear as they were the only ones available.  This
made the car oversteer at every opportunity, but because I got used to it, I
could drive it like that.  It was especially exciting around roundabouts.  I
could scare any passenger that dared to ride with me, even the local nutter !
Very few had two rides !    It did save my life though, because I bought  a
Lotus Elan and after racing my pal, who was in his GT6, down the motorway I hit
a slippy patch of road and  the rear end started to swing out at 70 mph ish. on
a bend.   I didn't even have to think about controlling the oversteer and after
swinging both ways I got the car straight.   A cop car (Triumph 2.5 PI) saw the
incident and came after me, but I was in a Lotus Elan wasn't I ?  To bad they
are so fragile !

Brian Johnson

--
Cheers
Brian Johnson

Internet bjohnson@myself.com (work) or b.johnson@lycosmail.com(home)

1963  TR4   AFP503A / IZS 733(USA) - CT27216-L (now not L but O ) ex USA
1954  TR2   46 BHX               TS554-O   UK Car in pieces
1989  Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 GLI   - Eurobox  but it goes !