Re: Electric cooling fans - THANKS!

To: <Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de>, "OddHedberg" <odd@triumphclub.se>, "TR-Power British, Brian Schlorff" <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Subject: Re: Electric cooling fans - THANKS!
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 12:22:58 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Brian Schlorff, Gerhard Weiderholl and Odd Hedberg

Thanks.  I greatly appreciate the information.  In view of the discussions,
it does make sense to put the sensor on the hot side of the radiator.  (It's
also easier than putting it in the head, sorry Brian) The location is
irrelevant, however, it will be easier to select the switch temperature
ranges if they are installed in the radiator's hot side rather than the cold
side, because it can be directly correlated to the thermostat operation.

The other major question I had, which has been resolved by your posts and a
good hard thinking through, on my part, was the coordination of the
operating temperatures of the fan switch and the thermostat.  The electric
fan should turn on at a temperature high enough above the thermostat full
open temperature to prevent "accidental" operation, but should turn off
somewhere within the operating range of the thermostat.  I suspect having
the fan turn off close to, but above, the thermostat rating is optimum.

For those on the list who are unaware of how a thermostat operates, the
rated temperature is the temp at which the thermostat BEGINS to open,  It
will not be full open until somewhere around 15-20°F(8-11°C) higher than the
rated temperature.

The double cooling fan approach used on the TR8, and other cars, is
intriguing to me as I am concerned about the total amperage "hit" on my
Lucas generator.  I use a 160°F(71°C) thermostat, which is full open at
180°F(82°C)  Using a staged approach will enable me to use two smaller fans
(if I can find a set in a shroud that will fit the radiator.)  If the first
an kicks on at 195°F(90°C) and the second at 205°F(96°C) I should be pretty
well covered.  205°F(96°C) is pretty hot for a TR3, but I believe it will be
OK for the occasional traffic jam.  The staged fans will result in less
electrical consumption when the first fan on kicks on, but probably more
overall (than a single big fan) when the second fan kicks in.  Hopefully,
the second one will never be needed.  An interesting thought.

Thanks gentlemen, I really appreciate your help.

Best regards,

Jack Brooks
TS69032L
NJ car show: http://pages.hotbot.com/family/triumph