Re: Need help with TR6 steering rack

To: Vito Pacione <vito@argohouston.com>
Subject: Re: Need help with TR6 steering rack
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 16:30:41 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Vito Pacione wrote:

> The manual says to use gear oil to lubricate the rack, but mine had grease
> in it. Should oil be used and filled using the pinion fill bolt, or should
> I find a way to grease it?

To the best of my knowledge, the rack is supposed to have GREASE in it.
You put OIL into a steering box; I suspect that who-ever edited your
manual didn't change the words when Triumph stopped using a cam-and-peg
steering system (TR3B) and switched to rack-and-pinion (TR4).

> The manual also shows that the fill bolt on top of the pinion housing has a
> ground strap attached to it. I don't remember taking one off of here, and
> my photos of when I was disassembling it don't reflect it either. Is it
> supposed to be grounded, and if so, is it part of the main harness, or is
> there a grounding strap?

If your horn works, you do not need a grounding strap.  That's what it's
for- when you push the button on the steering wheel, the circuit is
grounded- but because there's rubber u-joints in the steering column, and
rubber mounts on other places, they make sure you have a good electrical
path by placing a ground strap on the rack bolt.  Put one on if you want.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm