Re:TR6 Clutch Depression

To: Don Guthrie <dglc@netlink.co.nz>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:TR6 Clutch Depression
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 14:09:26 -0500
If it is just a stuck plate, what's the best way to free it up?

Don Guthrie
'73 TR6PI

Don,  Thought I'd pass along some past suggestions from the list.

Bud 71TR6 CC57365
    71TR6 CC65446
Last
> weekend I started the car in order to move it into the driveway - but the
> > car wouldn't go into gear with the engine running.  Shut the car off and
> > the transmission will shift into gear.  I haven't had a chance to crawl
> under, but from the sound and feel, it appears that the master and slave
> > are both functioning.  I seem to recall a while back someone reporting
> this same problem.  Please don't tell me that I have to pull the
> transmission to replace some bits, please!
>
> Thanks - Don Batsford

1)   If the clutch pedal feels absolutely normal, then you have a stuck
disk. The fix is fun. Push the car out of the garage. get it pointed in a
direction thats safe. In neutral, start the motor and warm it up, then shut off.
Put it in first. Put the clutch to the floor. Then, knowing that you'll take
off, give it a little throttle and start the engine in gear. Off you lurch! The
clutch
may beak free then, or not. If not build up the revs to 2000 then floor it(
remember the clutch pedal is still on the floor ) . Be ready to back off
fast if it breaks free. The last resort is to take the engine up to it's
torque peak (about 3500-4000) and use heal and toe to floor it and apply
the brakes at the same time.
If you run out of room, just shut off the motor with the key!
Don Boyd

2)  Sound to me like your problem is a stuck clutch disc.  This happens
sometimes over time, the plate 'bonds' to the flywheel and pressure plate.
When you puch the clutch in the spring pressure is released but there is no
"clutching" action.  For a quick fix you can try to use the starter motor to
dislogde it.  Put the car in gear, pull the handbrake (and.or use the
footbrake), push the clutch pedal in and bumo the starter.  Since it has only
been sitting for 10 months it should break pretty well...in more extreme cases
more force is required;

All of this assumes of course that your clutch master/slave IS working.
Check those first!

aaron

3)  Don, I had this problem with a TR3A that had been setting for some time, and
discovered that the clutch disk had stuck (yes stuck!) to the flywheel
and pressure plate. You can roll the car into the street, and start it
in first gear. Once you get it started, gently jerk the car by tapping
the throttle and then backing off. This has to be done with the clutch
pedal in the disengaged position.(down) You might be lucky and do this
in the garage by just rocking the car with the clutch disengaged.

Good Luck
Ron Harrison

4)  This happened to my first TR 4A... it totally seized to the flywheel... but
all the rocking and jerking in the world would not part them...

Sincere removing and installing a trans on a TR 4A had become a pretty simple
procedure for me... I just dove in and did that...  and with the clutch plate
removed... it was nothing to break them apart... you wonder why it would be
sooooo stuck!

Anyways...  I would certainly try everything before bothering to remove the
trans...  but be prepared for this possibility... and if so... don't get
mad...  just do it.   --Justin