Winter Driving

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Winter Driving
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 08:42:49 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
This summer, after several years of struggling with fouling plugs, I finally
applied my Kepner-Tregoe analytic troubleshooting skills to the problem and
decided the following:

a)    The plugs I was using were too hot, and,

b)    The engine was running too cool

To this end, I replaced the Autolite plugs recommended in the Autolite plug
book with the Champion L92Y (or its latest equivalent), as recommended by
TRF and Moss Motors, and I also replaced my 180 degF thermostat with a 195
degF stat.  What a difference!  No more fouling, good heater performance,
and no problem with the car attaining operating temperature quickly.  Today,
in Wisconsin, it is 11 degF outside, so I thought I'd fire up the beast just
to see if it would run in this weather (it never has before).  After several
cranks, it fired up, and I took it for a drive.  It ran fine, got up to
temperature, the heater kept the cockpit nice and cosy, and it ran perfectly
with the choke fully off.  Wow!  Maybe I have created a daily driver!