Re: TR6 clunks

To: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 clunks
From: "G. Ganoung" <gg07165@spectra.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 13:02:35 -0500
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Jack W Drews wrote:

> Again, my first IRS Triumph....TR6 clunks in the rear...sorry now that I
> didn't pay closer attention to these threads before I had a 6 --
>
> It clunks on acceleration and deceleration.
>
> Chassis brackets and diff mounts are all sound, no fractures.
>
> No discernable looseness in u-joints but I may replace them anyway.
>
> Halfshafts -- should there be any play at all in the splines? I can take
> hold of mine and wiggle them.
>
> Hubs -- should there be any discernable play in the hubs -- that is,
> when I grasp the tire and wiggle it like I'd check for looseness in
> front bearings, should I be able to feel ANY play in rear hubs?
>
> Thanks again to the respondents on the best list on the net....
>
> --
> uncle jack
> 61 TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer
> 71 TR6 street car
> "Please, officer - I have a wife and 24 hungry cylinders to feed..."
On my 74 TR6, IRS, I also have a clunk but I dont thnk its in the drive
train,  but in the rear suspension somewhere.  It sounded like the
exhaust system but thats not it.  I hear it when I go over rough roads,
very annoying.  Its probably in one of those armstong shocks, but havent
been able to get it apart to confirm.
AND PS: Give my TR6 and my dog over Saddam anyday.