Re: 1979 Spitfire 1500 Vacuum advance? retard?

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1979 Spitfire 1500 Vacuum advance? retard?
From: r-james@tamu.edu
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 98 14:54:22
Joe:

Now this is interesting; I guess I should investigate further...
Where should an advance source be connected?
Where should a retard source be connected?

This car has a Weber DGAV downdraft carb, also.  I don't know
about the vacuum source on it.  I assumed they were all pretty
much the same.  So far as I recall, there is only one connection
for vacuum on that carb, but maybe I don't know about another one.
(In which case I probably have a big vacuum leak!)

Regards,
Ray

--- On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:21:31 -0800  Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net> wrote:

>Ray,
>The Distributor you have may be from an earlier Spitfire engine that had
>an advance mechanism rather than retard.  It really doesn't matter which
>one is on the car as long as the vacuum hose is installed at the proper
>point.
>
>I have an advance on my 1500.  I put it on because it came with the carb
>setup from a Mk3 engine.  So it operates fine with the hose attached the
>way it was from the factory.  But if you have an advance connected to
>the port where a retard would connect it will not operate correctly and
>should be changed at one end or the other.
>
>Regards,
>Joe

Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.
Texas Transportation Institute