Valve Seat Recession

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Valve Seat Recession
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:27:39 -0500charset="Windows-1252"
Never heard of anyone actually having the problem.  I know this ain't gonna
make you Brits feel any better about unleaded gas. Too bad.  Last Sat. I was
with the youngun at the mall and when the 6 started it made an awful sound
from the engine. The sound disappeared after only a second and seemed to be
running fine.  Scrtched my head, drove home, all is well.  Go out a couple
hours later to go to the corner stire and start the 6, awful sound from the
engine.  Go to store in another vehicle.

Next morning pull valve cover check valve clearances, Exhaust 5 has no gap,
loosening can't make one, the valve stem just keeps coming.  I do not go
inside engines.

Tow car to Doctor. Doctor removes head.  Exhaust 5 valve is fine, seat is
missing. Exhaust 4 has receded about an 1/8 inch.  The rest look fine.  Bake
it to clean and discover fine cracks around Exhaust 5 and 4.  Throw head
away.

I didn't really have a new head in mind for the holidays.  I have some
pictures of the old head on my web site.

For you Brits going Oh-No! remember that this head is 30 years old and been
running on un-leaded for 25 years.  So maybe in 2023 you might wanna think
about rebuilding with hardened valve seats.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/triumph.htm    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK