Re: Towing a TR6

To: ranamy@msn.com, Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Towing a TR6
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 07:57:47 -0500
vitesse@juno.com wrote:

> A buddy has asked me to poll the list.
> \
> Towing an overdrive equipped TR6 on a two wheel dolly.....from Oregon to
> Georgia ( 3500 miles give or take a 1000)
>
> Would you or would you not undo the driveshaft?
>
> Thanks
>
> Send replies directly to Randy Chaffin....at....ranamy@msn.com
> Hugh R. McAleer
> Jonesboro, GA

Yes, I would recommend you disconnect the driveshaft for a long tow regardless
of
overdrive or not.

Most manual transmissions rely on splash lubrication that is achieved by
spinning the
laygear through an oil bath.  Since the laygear only spins when the input shaft
spins
(i.e. engine running with car in neutral with the clutch out), there will be no
splash
and the mainshaft gears will eventually run dry on their bushes.  This isn't a
problem
for short distance recovery trips, but for the mileage your proposing -
disconnect the
driveshaft from the rear axle and tie off the loose end of the driveshaft using
heavy
bailing wire so it can't bounce around while towing.

The situation is much worse if dealing with an automatic.  On cars equiped with
automatic gearboxes, the transmission relies on a pump driven off the torque
converter
for lubrication.  Torque converter attached to engine - engine not running - no
pump -
no lube - no more automatic gearbox!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars