Re: Have I FINALLY Found it??

To: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: Have I FINALLY Found it??
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 21:46:03 -0800
Cc: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Michael Ferguson wrote:

> Good, solid body/frame. Some surface rust on floor pans and minor bondo
> in a few spots (lower wings). Otherwise, no rust anywhere! Fiberglas
> front apron, but rest is all steel and he has a somewhat rough, but
> restorable steel front apron as part of the deal. Definitely needs
> paint. Some cracking and quite a bit of fading on bonnet and boot lid.
> Needs stripped inside and out and resprayed. Looks good from a distance,
> but...

Just some patience needed here.

> Compression is between 150-155 on all four cylinders. Says he has
> receipts for engine rebuild, but I haven't seen 'em. Oil pressure very
> good as well. Started easily and ran very well during my 45 minute
> drive. (HINT: Either wear a jacket or put the hood and side screens on
> when it's 40 degrees outside - a sweatshirt is NOT enough! Don't ask me
> how I know this. 8^)

If the compression and oil pressure is good, and it ran well for 45
minutes, I'd assume the engine is in good shape, regardless of wheter
it's been rebuilt.

> Some slop in the steering - maybe 1/2" steering wheel movement with no
> wheel movement. At about 40MPH, there's noticeable shimmy / cowl shake.
> Ok at lower or higher speeds. Pulls to the right when braking. One new
> brake caliper.

Front end work, wheel balancing, maybe out of round tires. brake rebuilt
all around. More work, some parts, more patience.

> Engine idles a bit high. Adjusted throttle linkage set screw down to
> 1000 or so, but after running awhile, RPMs back up to 12-1500. Some
> black exhaust and black, powdery looking spark plugs. Deal includes a
> Unisyn. Sounds like I'll need one!

carb throttle shaft bushes may be worn, adjusting the mixture to get a
decent idle will result in a rich mixture at higher rpms. This also
makes the car idle fast.

> Decent condition interior, but it's a light gray vinyl w/ gray carpet.
> Really would rather black, but owner doesn't seem to care about
> originality (or that I DO care). Top is brand new, but also gray. Side
> screens are original in VG condition, but they've been colored gray.
> Tonneau is good (and BLACK). By the way, the car is painted burgandy.

I've found that the original wool carpets don't wear as well as the
cheaper nylon ones. you can always replace them at your leisure.

> All instruments work. Owner says it has a new clutch - again no
> receipts, but it did seem smooth.

Instruments working is good, clutch is nice too, but at some point
you'll replace it anyway, so I wouldn't consider how new it is to be
very important in the scheme of things.

> I didn't notice it, but owner told me the non-overdrive TR4 transmission
> sometimes slips out of second gear. Why?

This is not good. Transmission work needed.

> Chrome wire wheels in good condition (slight surface rust in hub area),
> new stainless exhaust, new wire harness (installed), no tools (jack,
> crank, etc.). Original horns replaced by louder ones. Horn button under
> dash - steering hub button doesn't work, but turn signals do.

Control head can be rebuilt, and the horn button is the easiest part.
Louder horns? I haven't heard anything louder than Lucas Windtone horns
in the last 20 years. Original horns are tough to come by though.

> What do you think the car is worth? And how much more do you think it
> would cost to make it a nice, presentable, reasonably reliable (huh?)
> car? I'd really appreciate your collective wisdom. Thank you!!

You're going to spend a couple thousand just on bodywork and paint.
Figure another $2K on transmission, front end and carb work, plus some
incidentals. Minimum $4K spent, and this is if you do most of it
yourself.

What's the car worth? Don't ask me, I spent $2K on a rusted lump. It did
drive well though (and still does now that it's not a rusted lump).
Depends on how you feel about the car. If you drove it for 45 minutes
though, I'll wager you're already attached to it. :-)

--
George Richardson
The Wyvern - '57 TR3, TS15559L - Now on the road!