Instrument Cleaning - Help

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Instrument Cleaning - Help
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 11:50:39 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I need some advice from you folks who have done this before.   I am
disassembling and cleaning my instruments as part of my dashboard
restoration.

1.    When I twist off the round bezels these hard pieces of old rubber or
cork gasket just fall out on to the table.  Does anyone know of a source for
new gaskets or how to make new one yourself?  I got new O-rings for the
outside of the instrument housing from Moss.... but can't find any "inside
the instrument" stuff.

2.    All around the edge of the instrument face and under the glass the
outside edge of the glass the semi-gloss black paint has lifted.... either
with the brittle gasket or stuck to the back of the glass.  Has anyone had
success with touching this up.  If so... what paint?

3.    The faces of the instruments and glass all have a film on them.  There
was a lot of oil spray behind my dash on the harness and the back of the
instruments.  Some of this must have worked its way into the instrument
interior... they are not air tight at all.  I have cleaned the face with
window cleaner type stuff and the surface grim is gone but the surface has
lost its original shine.  Any suggestions on renewing this look.  I was
considering using simple high quality car wax - no abrasives to rub off the
white lettering?

4.    Is there a trick to taking these things apart and getting them back
together.  I accidentally popped out the black dial face while taking apart
the ammeter.  The instrument guts and needle are fastened to the back of the
case.   How do I successful re-install the dial face with out bending the
needle so it won't move freely?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA