Re: TR6 rear axle shims

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 rear axle shims
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 06:06:13 -0800
You wrote:

>>I have observed two different TR6s that had several shims installed behind
>>both the inner and outer trailing arm brackets. What is the purpose of these
>>shims? If it is only to adjust toe in then there should only be a stack
>>behind either the inner or the outer bracket but never both.
>>Thanks in advance to everyone on the list who reads or answers any of my
>>questions!
>>Dazed and confused in Sunny Denver CO
>>Lee Janssen

Yes, they are alignment shims.  Adding/removing shims from these brackets
adjusts the toe.  Because of what probably were pretty loose manufacturing
tolerances of the chassis, you may need to add shims in various
combinations, to both brackets to achieve the required spec.  Again due to
loose tolerances, each TR6 will likely require a different number of shims
and in different places to reach the same spec.

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6