RE: Shrinking Rovers-From todays Telegraph

To: kstewart@wwdc.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, "'ArthurK101@aol.com'" <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Shrinking Rovers-From todays Telegraph
From: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 14:16:32 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
the intent of what you mean to say is not quite clear.
Indeed if you take a look at the productivity figures, and that DOES count,
the productivity of that plant is among the lowest available, the fact that
this plant survived AT all is due to the fact that it was amongst the newest
and it was one of the core plants on that it produced Austin vehicles. Had
the menagement gonbe to the expense of getting skilled force form plants
they did close, i.e. Triumph, MG etc, they would have staerted off with a
higher productivity. Its the same mess as with the "new " factory that
produced TR7's and killed Triumoh in the end (not to mention BL, not to
mention some of Britains economy)
To adress whatever moral thoughts in BMW's management surely wont work. I
think this kind of attitude is exactly what will turn most germans into
supporting exactly the opposite of what you want to acheive. And that is
with most of the BMW board at the moment being alreadyt contra British.
(No flames and insults intended)

Gernot