Re: TR3A wiring

To: Tom Bottman <tbotts@mail.vii.com>
Subject: Re: TR3A wiring
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 20:20:52 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Tom Bottman wrote:

> Have so far been a silent reader of the list, but now need some
> advise/information. Am reassembling my TR3A (2 years apart), and have
> found two wiring unknowns.
> FIRST, there is a black wire, connected to a grounding terminal, coming
> out of both front sub-harnesses that lead down to the headlights.
> Question is where they bolt on to the body, and does anything else plug
> into the second socket on each?

I don't know what you mean by "second socket", but each of those
terminals grounds just behind where the horn mounts. On an early TR2-3
there would be a dual bullet socket screwed in there, but later cars
apparently just had ring terminals screwed into the body there.

> SECOND-according to the wiring diagrams, there should be four wires
> running up the stator tube to the control head. Problem is that that
> harness has been opened right at the steering box, and the green/white
> wire does not go up the tube. It had obviously been changed on purpose,
> but I can no longer remember if it was connected to something, or just
> left dangling. So, should the other end of that green/white be
> disconnected at the "horn junction". Two wires on the opposite side of
> the car (at the other "horn junction") have always been disconnected.
> Again, back 2 years ago, before I took things apart, all the electricals
> worked. So, any clue as to what modification was made, why, and how to
> put all back into working order.

There should be 4 wires:
        1 to horn
        1 from turn signal flasher
        1 to right side turn signals
        1 to left side turn signals

--
George Richardson
The Wyvern - '57 TR3, TS15559L - Now on the road!