Re: Troubleshooting an alternator

To: KTRIUMPH@aol.com, bills@pagesz.net
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting an alternator
From: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 17:25:50 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Don't do it!!!
        Disconnecting an ALTERNATOR whilst the car is running WILL harm it. An
alternator requires input voltage FROM the battery in order to be able to
charge. Disconnecting that input voltage almost always destroys the
diodes(rectifier)... that crackling sound you hear.
Ken, that is a valid test with a GENERATOR only.
Peter C (still w/o benefit of a Triumph)

At 05:48 PM 11/27/98 -0500, KTRIUMPH@aol.com wrote:

><< If I have a constant drain from a short, does anyone have suggestions on
> how to isolate that?
>Turn everything off and assuming you have no clock/stereo remove one of the
>battery terminals. Check volts between the terminal and the cable end. Should
>be zero. If you get a voltage reading you have a short.
>
> And, is there a way to isolate the alternator to see if it is working or
> would work without the drain?
>Take it to your local auto parts store with a tester. This is usually free.
>Another way is to start the car and disconnect the battery. If it dies you
>have little or no output from the alternator.
>
> Thanks in advance for the help I'm sure I'll receive. >>
>
>You bet!
>Ken Nuelle
>58 TR3A
>62 TR3B
>64 TR4

Peter Caldwell
MGC-GT  , 100-4, '31 MM8 Cammy, Innocenti S,
'52 Champ, '60 L-R 109 SW, 3 '64-73 L-R 88's
nosimport@mailbag.com
Contact for: The Columbia County Bonspiel
        Curling on 13 sheets at 5 clubs in WI
          Feb. 5 - 7 1999