Re: Removing Bushings?

To: "Stinocher, Bryan D." <bdstinocher@sewsus.com>
Subject: Re: Removing Bushings?
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 08:52:01 -0800
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> How
> do I remove the bushings so that I can replace them, both in the front and
> the rear? I tried using some sockets and my vise last night, and while that
> works like a charm with u-joints, all it did last night was sink into the
> rubber (I was trying to push the metal piece out first). Any suggestions?

Some ideas:

- Drill out the center of the bushing with drill.  It should then be easier to
remove the remainder of the bushing.

- Use a utility knife and cut off a shoulder of the bushing.  This lessens the
resistance of trying to push a big part through a small hole.  Watch you fingers
though, knives are sharp and can slip.

- Use a metal drift if the bushing has a metal center.  Drill a hole through a
2x4 just bigger than the bushing size.  Hammer the drift while supporting the
part on the wood.

I've used all three of the above.  I've also heard of people burning them out
with a propane torch.

Brian Kemp
72 TR6