non-definitive answer to TR6 cylinder sleeves

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: non-definitive answer to TR6 cylinder sleeves
From: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 20:06:01 -0700 (MST)

        Thanks for all the info about my anxiety concerning whether my 72 TR6
        engine was really messed up with cylinder sleeves.

        I think I found a reference in the October 5 issue of Moss's catalogue.
        On page 6, where it talks about head gaskets:

        "This later head gasket is designed to locate in the recesses in the
cylinder
        bores. With the cylinder head removed, these recesses in the bores
may give
        the impression that there are liners which have moved. This is
normal for
        1972 and later engines."

        Also in TRF's catalogue, it states that one head gasket fits engines
after CC75xxxxx.
        Well, mine is CC81xxxxx. So, now I feel a little better knowing,
maybe optimistically,
        that these recesses are factory made and not by a DPO. However, I'm
still a
        little worried why there are "A" and "B" type pistons there.

        Thanks,
        Jeff N.

Jeff C. Nathanson
Director of Product Development
Manufacturing Systems & Technologies, Inc.