RE: TR3 or is it a TR3a

To: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Subject: RE: TR3 or is it a TR3a
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:08:36 -0500 (EST)
Cc: "'Daniel McClain'" <dan.mcclain@sbti.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Musson, Carl wrote:

> I am copying my response to the Triumphs Mailing list to see if anyone
> else has some input.  If you didn't know about that group, let me know
> and I'll tell you how to get on the list.
>
> My thoughts are that the car you have was manufactured as a TR3; but
> sometime in its life the doors and front apron were switched out for the
> TR3A look....

[Carl's excellent rationale snipped for bandwidth preservation]

It is easy to envision several scenarios that would result in an
"updated" front apron. As for the doors, one other possibility comes to
mind. Is there any evidence that the car ever had (still has?) a factory
hardtop? Exterior door handles could be an indication of the "GT" kit,
which were part of the whole package with the hardtop, etc.

--Andy