Re: Spd # & diff. solusions

To: ARhodes@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Spd # & diff. solusions
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:01:02 -0600
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tony, the TR4's didn't use angle drives on the OD hookup.  Just an extra
long cable.  For the 550/590x15 tires the speed had 1152 turns per mile.

As a side I just found out that RevingtonTR still has current pricing for the
transmission output shafts to be used with OD's.  Their pricing program
doesn't provide prices for items they don't have available so I would infer
from that that it is still possible to buy that shaft.  I had always thought
the
shafts were no longer available.

> Message text written by Kramer
> > I've
> >mixed up the many spd to the different TR4/A's that I can't rebemer
> >which TR4/A gets which spd.<
>
> Well,  I have this info.
>
> Any transmission could have OD retrofitted.  The standard factory fitting
> is 3.7 rear with non-OD transmissions, and 4.1 for OD transmissions (in
> the TR4 series, maybe earlier too). The transmission ratios were always
> the same from TR2-5/250, or so I am led to believe.
>
> Then there were 550/590.15  and 165/15 tires which had slightly different
> diameters resulting in 4 possible speedomoter fittings  1184 and something
> else for the 3.7 differential, and by my unverified calculation 1312 and
> another something else for the 4.1.
>
> my guess is that the angle drive had a 1:1 gearing and nothing else,
> otherwise they
> might have been able to get away with using the same speedo on OD and
> non--OD transmissions. -Tony

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My 1st attempt at a web site. Http://www.141.com/triumphs

1964  Spitfire4            BFC25720L
1973  Spitfire Mk IV       (for sale or trade?)
1962 TR4                   CT288L (To Maine or bust)
1959 TR3A                  TS41311L (someday)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108