Re: TR4a restoration questions - NEW

To: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Subject: Re: TR4a restoration questions - NEW
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 13:47:38 -0800
Cc: Triumph Newsgroup <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hello Dave...

I've had it with "Purists" standing around in sophmoric high school type
cliques... ignoring a non-stock TR or making rude comments, etc...

This is where I stand....

After watching the newsgroup for over a year now...  I've heard guys say, "The
DPO did this..." , "The DPO did that...", "The stupid DPO did this..."  etc...
and then they go on to tell how they brought the car back to "original"....
Well.... that's just it... that's what restoring a car is often about... the joy
of restoring a car to the new owner's taste and pocketbook....  sometimes the
joy is in repairing "DPO modifications"....  Part of the joy is even telling
others what the "DPO" had done!

(Not every restoration has to start with a PURE unadultered car found in a barn
somewhere!  In fact, to some, that may just be too easy!  and possibly too
expensive, unless they were one of those lucky guys that made a "deal" with the
old farmer's widow!)

That said...

It's YOUR car.... restore it how you would like...   Make all the changes you
want.  Certainly, you should be aware that changes generally damage the "value"
of the car... but if you're  not in it for the "investment" interest... but
rather the joy....  then it shouldn't be an issue.

Yes, if you make modifications, you're never going to win a concours... but if
you make modifications cleanly, and tastefully (you be the judge of that!)....
you could win "favorites" catagories... or go to TRIUMPHEST in California, and
win the show.... (modifications are ok if done nicely, etc.)

I try to limit modifications to ones that could be removed/replaced without a
lot of effort.... but if I should decide to cut a hole in the body somewhere for
a performance modification... so be it... a future owner of the car can replace
the steel, if he wants...

When I get the sort of snubbing from other TR owners, in regards to the
modifications I have made... OR the fact that my current 4A is not done, and is,
thus, a bit ratty....   It simply brings to my attention that this is NOT the
person in the club at a show that I will want to try to engage in
conversation... I'll move on to the more pleasant people.

It sounds to me like you should worry less about being original... and maybe
focus on doing things cleanly... with a flair for the vintage nature of the
car....   Ask yourself, "What would look right for the period?", etc...   this
is my main theme in restoring both my TR 4A's... (One is still in the "in boxes"
stage)....  the driver I tend to lean towards original....  only because I
figure the second one will be the one I keep for a lifetime...  etc...

anyways... just food for thought.

--Justin