Re: Herald Question (Andy

To: JRossi727@aol.com
Subject: Re: Herald Question (Andy
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:57:37 -0500 ()
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 13 Nov 1998 JRossi727@aol.com wrote:

> Hello Andy.  Could you help me out. I have a chance to pick up a Herald covt.
> Car the is in great original shape. New top and good wiring. Some rust behind
> the seats.  Runs and drives. Asking price $1000. Any opinions or thing to know
> and look for deeper for buying. This may be an investment for resale.
> Thanks John Rossi  Flintstone, GA

That might be a very good price. The three critical things to check for on
a Herald:

1. Is the chassis straight and rust-free?
2. Is the chassis rust-free and straight?
3. Is there any rust in the chassis?

I guess I can't stress this enough. Mechanically, the Herald is very much
like a Spitfire, with all that is involved there. Nothing out of the
ordinary, though. The chassis is THE critical piece on a Herald. If main
rails (the "backbone") are rusted, it's almost not worth dealing with. If
any of the outriggers (actually comprising a majority of the frame bits)
are bad, they can be replaced. To do most of them properly, though,
involves removing the body.

Of those outriggers, the one that should be looked at most carefully is
the one to which the radius arms mount for the rear axles. It is rather
common to see those pieces weaken and rust or break away. Since it locates
the swing axle, you really DON'T want that loose or missing.

If you can provide me with the Commission, body and engine numbers, I can
probably tell you a good bit more about the car.

--Andy