Re: WANTED: 1200 Spitfire Engine Advice

To: Chad & Ariane Jester <triumph@terraworld.net>
Subject: Re: WANTED: 1200 Spitfire Engine Advice
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:36:29 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Chad & Ariane Jester wrote:

> I just bought a '65 Herald (1200 Spit Engine) that came with an engine,
> ready to assemble.  New 8 to 1 pistons and rings (+.030), crank turned
> .010 and .010, new bearings, rebuilt no-lead head.  I want to build it
> to be strong, but reliable.  How much can I mill the head to raise the
> compression?  What camshaft would you recommend?  I have a Header, and
> also plan to put a twin SU carb setup on it.  Any advice will be greatly
> appreciated!

Chad, I'm not sure that what I'm about to pass along is completely
applicable, since I suspect your engine probably was originally a "12/50"
engine. That engine basically is a Spitfire engine, save for the cylinder
head height and valve springs setup, but including the Spitfire 4/Mk.2
cam.

The installation of the dual SU carburetor kit on the earlier high
compression Herald 1200 engine included the following instructions:

"Machine approximately 0.030" from the cylinder head joint face to give a
combustion chamber depthe of 0.460..." Meanwhile, the original Spitfire
Competition Preparation Manual talks of taking no more than 0.080" off
the head, unless you're doing all sorts of other measuring and machining
and "finessing"!

Again, given that your engine likely already has the stock Spitfire cam,
it might be sufficient for now. I'll leave any further advice on cams to
those more knowledgeable in that area.

--Andy