Re: TR6 status (Gas in Oil) "Longish"

To: Rengrave@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 status (Gas in Oil) "Longish"
From: Chad Stretz <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 20:01:07 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> -snip
> *******************************
> That is where I am at today, I am waiting for some parts to come in, and then
> I will be pouring new Castrol GTX 20/50 oil in and mounting a new Fram oil
> filter. I plan to turn the engine over w/o plugs installed to get the oil
> pressure up before I fire up the engine. I hope the oil pressure stays around
> 20 psig with engine at operating temp the way it use to be before this whole
> carb rebuild mess.
>
> I have balanced the suction on the ZS carbs before I dropped the pan, but I
> would like to adjust the air/fuel mix ASAP before I contaminate the new oil.
> Does anyone have any advice for adjusting the mix, I think I am running
> "rich", when I lift the air valve approx. 1/8", my idle would start to die
> out. I read that this was an indication of a rich mix?
>
> Wayne from Massachusetts
> 1973 TR6

  Wayne,
   20 pounds oil pressure at normal operating temp seems a little low to me.
You
might want to consider replacing your rod and main bearings.  Did you happen to
check them while you were under there?

With regard to the carbs, I believe what you have is a lean mixture.  If you
lift
the air valve and the engine speed increases, you are running rich.  Ideally,
the
engine speed should increase slightly, and then settle back down.

Good luck!
Chad Stretz
73 TR6