Re: TR4 interior

To: tr357@cdsnet.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 interior
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 16:08:42 EST
In a message dated 98-11-02 22:15:19 EST, tr357@cdsnet.net writes:

> Hi Listers: Does the dash support (the y shaped piece) go over the
>  carpet, or do you cut the carpet around the feet of this piece ?
>  TIA
>  Dennis Barr

Dennis, sounds as if you have an on-original configuration carpet.  The
original had three pieces.  The front section went from the firewall to the
dash support and the center piece went from the dash support into the cockpit.
The gear shift lever came through the center piece.  The third (or rear) piece
covered the tunnel from the rear of the center carpet (they over lapped a bit
I think) to the back wall of the floor behind the seats. All three pieces
covered the transmission tunnel and were bound with a vinyl type binding at
the edges.  The front and center pieces came right up to (not under) the
forward and rear sides of the support and were held in place with snaps.  The
reason for the snaps was that you needed to take out the center piece of
carpet in order to get the plug in transmission cover out to grease the
nipples on the drive shaft.  I haven't seen an absolutely original carpet set
in years.

I also have noticed that most newer transmission covers do not have a hole in
them.  I just bought the rubber plug for mine and intend to drill a hole so
that I can once again get at the grease nipples.  You can't reach those grease
nipples from below because of the frame.

So, the answer for you is to do as you like, keeping in mind that the center
one is supposed to be removeable so you can get at the grease nipples of the
trans mission lever rubber boot.   FWIW - my replacement carpets (about 7
years old from TRF) are configured so that the front piece goes under the
support, the center one does not, and the rear one overlaps the back edge of
the center piece.  That center piece back edge is not bound but the front edge
of the rear piece of carpet is.  Hope this helps.

Art Kelly