Re: .Re: Slapping my knock-offs

To: LLong@Kollmorgen.com
Subject: Re: .Re: Slapping my knock-offs
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 08:03:44 EST
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

 To:    LLong@Kollmorgen.com
 CC:    Triumphs@autox.team.net

 > 'm trying to get the chrome, two eared knock-offs removed from my TR4's
 >  wire wheels.  I've gone through two rubber mallets.  Then made a mess of
 >  kindling by placing 8 inch lengths of 2x2's on the ear and then hitting
the
 >  2x2 with a 18 pound sledge.  I really don't feel right moving on to plan C
 -
 >  hitting the knock-off directly with the sledge.  Any one have a proven
cure
 >  - these puppies are really on there.

Tom,

I haven't read all the replies to this one, so this may be a repeat.  We had
this very same problem a few years ago while trying to remove some knockoff's
from a neglected TR250.  We first tried the conventional way, then the WD-40
and a bigger hammer, then added heat to expand the knockoff.  We were finally
able to get three of the wheels off, but there was one that just didn't want
to budge.  We finally went down to the local tool rental shop and rented a
very large pipe wrench.  Needless to say, it then came right off.  If you're
real carefull, you could probably protect the chrome by wrapping the knockoff
with a rag of some sort.

Scott Helms
http://members.aol.com/Trmgafun/index.html