Re: RE: Restoration: where do I start?

To: MPRICE@KeystoneSystems.com, owner-triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, chansen@anr.net
Subject: Re: RE: Restoration: where do I start?
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:14:31 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

In a message dated 10/30/98 12:44:44 PM, MPRICE@KeystoneSystems.com wrote:

<<Cliff

Not too long ago I was asking my self the same question. I am well into
a restoration of a TR250. >>

Having done a few restorations and reviewed a number of articles on the topic,
my recommendation is that you buy your equipment in the following order.

Garage Space
Shelves (Gorilla shelves from Home Depot or OSH are great)
Shelves (more of them; your wife will like having them later)
Shelves (even more of them, if you've got the room)
Very good floor jack and jack stands
Hand-washing sink in garage if you don't have one
Work Bench (standing and sitting portions)
Good set of basic hand tools, best quality you can afford
Parts Cleaning tank, medium size
Bench grinder/polisher
Air compressor and basic attachments
Bench-top sandblast cabinent

Those are essential (except maybe for the last two) for any restoration.  From
there, decide whether you want to become a journeyman panel beater (as our
Aussie friends would say) and/or a journeyman painter and/or an engine
overhauler in the process.  Don't forget the real pros spend a career gaining
the skills to do these jobs really well.  Maybe these are jobs you shouldn't
try at home.
Based on those decisions, you can decide if you want the really expensive and
not often used equipment needed, such as HVLP paint sprayer, mig welder, drill
press, metal lathe, respirator, paint booth, etc. etc.

Have Fun
Gary Anderson
Editor, British Car Magazine