TR6 starts up, Yeh!

To: teddera@MNSi.Net
Subject: TR6 starts up, Yeh!
From: Rengrave@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 23:37:10 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
After numerous attempts, the six finally started up today, well, for about
five minutes.:(
I pulled the carbs off again to try the floats at a lower level (about 1/16"
lower) hoping this would stop the un-ajustable rich mix that seems to be
entering the engine (wet
 plugs). While I had the carbs off, I set the needles (washer flush with
bottom of air valve) and dismantled the by-pass valve to clean and adjust
center screw to 7 1/2 turns out per you suggestion. Mine were set at 3 turns
out? I had to pop the small brass cap off the by-pass valve to access the
screw, I left this cap off for now so I could adjust on the car if necessary.
I was very tempted to replace the new Grose valves with the originals (I heard
they were notorious for flooding carbs) but I left them on and lowered the
floats 1/16" lower to get the fuel level lower in the bowls (does this make
any difference?, I read somewhere on the web that you can make up for worn jet
orifices by lowering the fuel level in the bowls because it requires more
vacuum to suck the fuel out if the level is lower).
Anyway, I have spark at all plugs, and I tried to start the car the way that I
used to, by just pulling the choke out all the way and turning the key. The
car would not start, so I pushed the choke all the way in and tried the choke
in different positions, still no luck. The only way the engine would start is
when I floored the accelerator with the choke left all the way in, the engine
would turn over slowly getting faster and faster until she would startup and I
had to keep her running with my foot on the accelerator.
I pulled the choke out until it engaged the accelerator and I was able to keep
it running with the choke, so I took my foot off the pedal and let the engine
warm up for a few minutes. I was waiting for the engine to reach a normal
operating temp. so I could start setting the carbs, when the engine started to
die out on me, I tried to keep it going with the accelerator linkage, but I
was not quick enough.
And now, of course I cannot get it started again, :( :( Help!!
What do you think I have to do to keep it running, and why can't I start it
like I use to, by using the choke only, not the accelerator pedal.?

Wayne from Massachusetts
1973 TR6