TR4 night driving

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR4 night driving
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:46:34 -0700 (PDT)
Drove the TR4 for an extended run (hours' drive) at night yesterday.

I need to aim my headlights.  Although they do light up a lot of the night
(Bosch H4)

The ignition light glowed during the whole trip though :-(  Not very
bright, and the ammeter did not show a discharge, but I'm a bit concerned
over it.  Is it normal?  I didn't have the heater or the wipers on, just
the engine and the main beams.  The light dimmed a bit on low-beams, and
brightened a bit when the brake lights were on.

Is this a sign?  (hopefully of something Triumph related)

Excessive resistance in the wiring?

Alternator on the way out?  (I hope not!!)  It's a GM conversion, 55 amp.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm